Tuesday, May 10, 2016

The Unmaking

Oh, my goodness! Time really flies.  I didn't think it had been quite a month since my last post! Wow.

  This morning, I have a rare moment when I am alone in my house.  In about 50 minutes that all changes.

The last few weeks it has been a bustle of school activities, sports, illnesses, losses, disappointments, and prayer. 

Lots of prayer.

The word I have for the year has been in the forefront of my mind during all this time.

Choose.  I have choices with every new twist and turn in my day.

I am choosing rest.  I am choosing comfort.  I am choosing hope.  I am choosing peace.

I am choosing to believe that God is sitting in the messes of my life.

I am choosing to allow myself the time to sit in those messes with Him.

Hosea 6:3 says, "Let us know; Let us press on to know the Lord; his going out is sure as the dawn; he will come to us as the showers, as the spring rains that water the earth." (esv)



I live in the beautiful state of Washington.  I love it here.  There is one thing in the Pacific NW that you can count on...rain.

We know rain. It comes every spring.  A good portion of the summer sometimes.  Pretty much destined for fall and absolutely ALL winter!

Some years, like last summer, the rain eluded us for an extended period of time.  We entered a drought.  It was extremely hot.  It started to feel like rain would never come again. But we knew that no matter how dry and hot the summer was, Fall would bring the rains again. 

We anticipate rain.  We plan our life around it.  We know rain. 

Hosea tells us to press on to KNOW the Lord.  I like how the NLT writes it:

"Oh that we might know the Lord!  Let us press on to know him.  HE will respond to us as surely as the arrival of dawn, or the coming of rains in early spring."

During a drought in our life, we think God is silent, and we cry out, our prayers beg for God to be close. The LOVING FATHER is not unaware or distant.  

We can count on God to come.  Just like we can count on the sun to rise or the rain to come!  We need to KNOW that! We need to press into God, know his promises, anticipate, expect, and trust that He comes "as sure as the dawn, or the coming of the rains..."

When all has crashed or pressing in around us, I believe that God not only comes, but is sitting with us in the rubble, the chaos. We may not sense Him there, or we may even think he has abandoned us.

Sometimes we need to sit in the mess. We experience the drought.  I believe God has purpose in that.  It is OK to rest. It is OK to mourn.  It is OK to just sit.  You and the Lord will sort it all out in due time.  The rains will come again.  

 I choose to cling to the promises of His word that "weeping main remain for the night, but JOY comes in the morning." (Psalms 30:5b)

This is my place.  I choose to sit in rubble.  I am ok with that. God is not distant or unaware of where I am, and I believe he allowed me to be here on purpose.  NO matter how long I have cried for the rain to wash away everything, the rain hasn't come yet. I still press on to KNOW the Lord.  I can count on the rain to come again. 

It is fine that I am a mess.  It is OK that you are too.  Life is just messy. God is close and keenly aware of our life.  He is the Master of Creation.  The Omega.  The beginning and end.  NOTHING is beyond His control, His ways or understanding.  

We won't stay messy.  God makes all this beautiful in His time.  He trades our ashes for beauty.  What we will build together will be stronger and more effective than what I cling to now.  

I thought I was useless but God is still using me. He is only allowing just so much.  I trust now that is by design.  I am at peace with that now. Maybe it is the same for you?  

Be encouraged, my friend.  Watch the video below.  Nichole Nordeman is a beautiful singer and songwriter.  I had the privilege of talking to her about this song at a concert last month.  It is the exactly the inspiration I needed, and I hope that you will be inspired too. This video explains her desire for the song.  The link below is the song.




The Unmaking: