Wednesday, July 8, 2015

The promise of Peace.





Most days come with more struggles and wrestling than I wish.  Interwoven among those struggles are small whispers of familiar promises.  Promises of who God is.   

Among the valley I am currently traveling in, I have encountered a thorny patch.  While I still am consistent in my belief that God is sovereign and completely present, I am stuck.  When I move, I am pricked by another place in my life that needs pruning.  I hate pruning.  I feel helpless and exposed during those times.  The enemy is pushing the tender spots of past hurts and regret so I will relive them over and over.  It keeps me consistently distracted from where God is.  I know he has never left me and I know that He is careful to watch over me, but I still struggle.  

What I really long for is peace.  In my quest this morning to find the right track...again... I caught glimpse of another reminder:




Always be full of joy in the Lord. I say it again—rejoice! Let everyone see that you are considerate in all you do. Remember, the Lord is coming soon.[c]

Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, (emphasis mine) which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.  Philippians 4:4-7



What just stuck out to me is that is says Tell God what you need, thank Him for all he has done, THEN you will experience God's peace. It doesn't say that once you tell God what you need the peace will come with His provision. In fact it doesn't promise we will even get what we asked for.  It just states that we will receive GOD's peace. Something He has for us, that we don't understand or are capable to obtain on our own. 

It is like when you have a good talk with a friend and after you feel a bit better that you have been able to talk things out? Right now, I needed to hear that. When I tell God what is on my heart, not just the good, wants and needs alone, but give him the ugly and raw too, HIS peace will be what is left.

 It is a step of faith knowing that whatever the outcome, you have laid it at Christ's feet. His peace exceeds what we understand. It is part of the provision from Him. God is my rescue, healer and defender.  Sometimes the provision is simply knowing that I am still held closely.  This life will never be without the thorns.