Monday, January 28, 2013

Running

  I was thinking this morning, while drinking my amazing cup of coffee, that I should offer an explanation to why Proverbs 15:1 is the key verse at the top of my blog.  Bear with me as a try to convey these thoughts...

  I happened to read this verse a few years ago while trying to get my children to read the bible every day on their own.  Since Proverbs has 31 chapters in it, there is a chapter for each day.  So much wisdom is kept inside these verses and at the stages my children were then, I thought it would be a good place to start.

  My husband is a very hard worker.  He constantly provides as best he can for our family.  We bought our house in what seemed only moments before the housing bubble burst.  Like most families now, we are stuck in a house that will never recover.  Our small three bedroom, ONE bathroom home will never give us a return for our money.  At this same time we had a car accident that took a financial toll as well.  I have learned so many things on this journey, but it has been a difficult one.  God has proven over and over that he not only hasn't forgotten us, but is still faithfully providing for us.

  It is easy to be discouraged about anything.  I think for most people money can be one of the things that discourages the most.  Feelings of failure, lack of hope that it will be better, grief over mistakes, all that and more can wreak havoc in our minds.  All the more reason to keep the connection.  My hubby and I went round and round with many things.  We battled the lies that plagued us daily.  We still do once in awhile.  God was and still is faithful. 

 During this time, I found many places for help.  We took steps to ensure that we made good our promises.  I read Dave Ramsey's book, "The Total Money Makeover," and it helped us gain perspective and control.  It didn't fix things in a minute, but it gave me armor and tools.  God was in it and constantly prompting us to move forward.  Even when it meant relationships with others would be strained or even lost.  Even when we had choices to make that meant disappointment.

  How does this tie into the verse?  I will tell you.  While we were attacking the mound of bills that seemed to consume our days and nights, I was working through Proverbs with the kids.  Wrestling with decisions and asking God for direction, Proverbs 15:1 jumped off the page. 

  Webster's Dictionary defines diligent:
: characterized by steady, earnest, and energetic effort : painstaking <a diligent worker>
 
I got the message LOUD and clear!  With painstaking energy we have pressed on not only in our finances but in every aspect of our life.   It has been applied over and over in our lives.  Where I am right now it is a constant reminder that being hasty in a decision will only lead to poverty.  The tasks I am called to do, I must be earnest, steady and painstaking to complete the task.  Does it make the road easy? Not at all, but the returns are worth it.
 
  So, while it came to us in regards to where we were financially, it has been a constant in every aspect of our lives.  Stages the kids are at, church, decisions,  whatever we are going through.  
 
 Anyway, long story short, (right?) this is why the key verse is Proverbs 15:1.